Scan 15-03: Successful Preservation Practices for Steel Bridge Coatings
Residual Dye (Lubricant) on Galvanized Fasteners – How Much Is Too Much?
Methodology for Analysis of
Field Methods for Determining Lead Content in Bridge Paint Removal Waste
The New York State Department of Transportation has sponsored a study to develop field methods for determining lead content in bridge paint removal waste. The study’s final report was published in December 2013 and may be downloaded as a (.pdf) file at:
Benefits of Transitioning from Traditional Maintenance Management to Life-Cycle Asset Management
Asset Works has published a short paper describing the benefits of replacing traditional maintenance with Life-Cycle Asset Management.
Primary Element – Bridge Inspection Continues to Evolve in U.S.
With more than 600,000 bridges in the U.S., many of them closing in on or surpassing their original 50-year design lives, the need to ensure safety is at the forefront of concern in the bridge industry.
The May 2013 edition of “Roads & Bridges” has published an article on the evolution of and need for Element Level Bridge Inspection.
SHRP 2 Tools and MAP-21 Policy Goals
SHRP 2 has assembled tools and resources that can assist agencies to meet their project and policy goals, including MAP-21 goals. The FHWA and AASHTO are initiating the SHRP 2 Solutions Implementation Program. Visit the three web pages:
The TSP Research, Development, and Implementation Roadmap published in January 2008, included 38 R&D problem statements related to pavements and 25 related to bridges. Since 2008, some of the identified research has been completed and other needs identified.
AASHTO has contracted with the NCPP to revise the Roadmap by:
The project was initiated in November 2012 and is expected to be complete in three years.
Bridge Preservation Search Engine and Research News
Use the new page specifically designed for bridge preservation searches and for up to date information on research HERE.
Literature Review of Chloride Threshold Values for Grouted Post-Tensioned Tendons
This document describes the outcomes of a literature review conducted by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) to support an ongoing laboratory study on corrosion of grouted post-tensioned (PT) bridges that are affected by chloride-contaminated grouts.
TRB 2013 Steel Bridge Coating Technical Session
S-K Lee, Chair of the Steel Bridge Coating Subcommittee (AHD30(2)), has announced a two-part technical session to be held by AHD30(2) at TRB 2013. The session’s technical abstract is:
“Various types of coating systems for steel bridges play the most important role in protecting steel from corrosion. However, there are many challenges to apply the coatings properly and maintain them at right times during the service life of the structures. A 4-hour technical session consisted of two equally divided parts will address various topics pertaining to the new steel bridges (Part 1) and maintenance coatings for the existing steel bridges (Part 2). The presentation topics include the latest state of practices related to coating application and maintenance, newly emerging high performance coating systems, non-destructive diagnostic tools, performance monitoring methodologies, and coating preservation strategies.”
The TSP Research Roadmap
The FHWA in partnership with the American Association of State Highway Transportation Officials (AASHTO) and the preservation industry, have sponsored a study to delineate the most critical knowledge gaps in pavement and bridge preservation and the research which is necessary to fill those gaps. This Transportation System Preservation (TSP) Research, Development, and Implementation Roadmap is the output of that partnership effort, and was compiled via input received during three (3) regional workshops conducted in 2007.Working together with preservation practitioners from State, Provincial, and local transportation agencies; industry, academia, and the FHWA; this effort has resulted in the development of a broad array of pavement and bridge preservation research needs statements which comprise the “TSP Research Roadmap,” now available for download below.
The TSP Research Roadmap – January 2008
- TSP Research Roadmap – Brochure
- Cover Letter from the FHWA Associate Administrator for Infrastructure
- TSP Research Roadmap – Executive Summary
- TSP Research Roadmap Report
Other Preservation Research Roadmaps
Presented below for informational and comparison purposes, are proposed preservation research activities that have been developed and submitted by other preservation task groups. To submit your preservation roadmap or list of problem statements, please contact the TSP2 site administrator. Please submit research matrices in MS Word and/or Adobe PDF format.
- Partnered Pavement Research Center (PPRC) Pavement Roadmap: Sponsored by the California Pavement Preservation Center (CP2) and CalTrans.
NCHRP Synthesis of Truck Size and Weight Research
NCHRP 20-07, Task 303 has developed a “Directory of Significant Truck Size and Weight Research” to provide a brief, well organized summary of significant research related to large truck size and weight for use by decision-makers. Access the Directory.
- NCHRP Synthesis 396: Monitoring Scour Critical Bridges
- NCHRP Synthesis 398: Cathodic Protection For Life Extension of Existing Concrete Bridge Elements
- NCHRP Synthesis 423: Long Term Performance of Polymer Concrete for Bridge Decks
- MoDOT Report on Bridge Maintenance Crew Workers and Inspectors Survey
- White Paper: “Overview on Bridge Preservation Research”
- NCHRP Report 678: Design of FRP Systems for Strengthening Concrete Girders in Shear
- NCHRP Report 681: Development of Precast Bent Cap System for Seismic Regions
- NCHRP Report 682: Scour at Wide Piers and Long Skewed Piers
- NCHRP Report 668: Framework for a National Database System for Maintenance Actions on Highway Bridges
- TRB Journal No. 2200: Bridge Engineering 2010 Volume 1
- TRB Journal No. 2201: Bridge Engineering 2010 Volume 2
- TRB Journal No. 2202: Bridge Engineering 2010 Volume 3
- TRB Journal No. 2151: Construction 2010 Volume 1
- TRB Journal No. 2152: Construction 2010 Volume 2
- TRB Journal No. 2164: Concrete Materials 2010
- TRB Journal No. 2172: Structures 2010